Monday, July 26, 2010

Up the Kwethluk, Part II

Days remaining: 5 days

More pictures of my trip upriver. These are mostly of the SaRON camp. The purpose of the camp to monitor salmon and trout populations, but also supports other research including beavers and moose, as well as the science camp for teenagers that's happening this week.Bear poop! They had a bear come by the camp on Tuesday, and at this rate this is the closest I'm ever going to get to seeing a bear in the wild, so a picture of bear poop. Hooray!
Kitchen tent.
Lab and computer tent.
One of the sleeping tents.
This camp burnt down last summer, so it was rebuilt this spring. It's looking pretty good.
The lighting was kind of amazing when I was there.
Behind the kitchen tent.
Looking down towards the river. The camp is on an elevated plateau.
From here, the kitchen tent is on my left and the lab tent is on the right. To give you some perspective.
Inside the kitchen tent. I like the poison sign.
The ladder/stairs up to camp. I took the pictures above standing at the top of this.
A little springbrook off to the side of the trail up to camp.
This is the little offshoot off the Kwethluk that runs by camp. There is a path that goes out to the main river on shore, but if you have waders on, it's just easier to move gear by walking along the offshoot. The fence is up around the tarp is electrified, it's there to discourage bears.

I have one more set of Kwethluk photos, and that should get me through the next week. As you can see by my countdown, I only have 5 days left (4 if you're not counting today). After that, I'll be taking a weekend in Anchorage, and then back to California. I hope to have a few more entries about Anchorage, but after that, I'm not sure what to do with this blog after that...

So keep your eyes out for a few more entries at least!

2 comments:

  1. I was wondering how you keep the bears out of the kitchen, electric fence, that makes sense. Bear poop is the best you can do? We have a joke in Alleghany that we should market bear poop as exotic fertilizer for pot growers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Post Steph! I love the bear poo pic too!

    ReplyDelete