Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Bird Recap

Days remaining: 2 days

If you've been following along, I have added 21 new birds to my life list. This basically means I've seen and identified 21 birds I've never seen before. Here's a recap of what I've seen.

Bethel Birds:
  • Long-tailed jaeger - This is the first bird I saw in Bethel. I pointed out the window and shouted, "That's gotta be a jaeger! That's gotta be it!" The law enforcement guys thought I was weird for some reason.
  • American tree sparrow
  • Common redpoll - These are EVERYWHERE. You could tell when the young ones fledge because its like the bunkhouse was being mobbed by dull little redpolls.
  • Lapland longspur - These are GORGEOUS. I was pretty bummed I never got my own picture of one.
  • Red-necked phalarope
  • Arctic tern
  • Bank swallow - How silly is it that I get this lifer in Bethel and NOT on the Sacramento River?
  • Northern goshawk - I actually saw this when we launched the float planes, I had just forgotten to write it down.
  • Rusty blackbird
  • Pine grosbeak - The male we saw was HUGE, way bigger than I expect a grosbeak to be.

Field Birds:

1 comment:

  1. Arctic Tern reminds me of our song - "It's not a gull, but a tern, tern, tern."

    ReplyDelete