Friday, July 23, 2010

Finding Beauty in Bethel, Part IV, and Storytime

Days remaining: 1 week, 1 day

I have one last set of photos for you, but first I need to share a story. Last night, right around 7 pm, I started developing a blind spot in the middle of my vision. At first, I just figured I had looked into the fluorescent over my desk for too long. But then it stuck around and started getting bigger. I tried to ignore it, and it did go away after a half hour, but then it was replaced by a loss of peripheral vision in my left eye. At that point, I was asking if anyone in the bunkhouse saw some distortion in my eye. I went and lied down for a little while, and my vision improved slightly, but as I sat up and moved to the computer, my left arm went numb.

At this point, I asked to be driven to the hospital.

By the time I got to the emergency room, my face was numb, and my cognition was a bit impaired. After I gave my information, my symptoms all began to fade, to be replaced by a massive headache. After four hours in the waiting room, nearly five on a hospital bed, three Tylenol and one shot of vasoconstrictor later, I was released at 4:45 am with the diagnosis of "just" a migraine.

That was my grand adventure last night. Now all I have left from that experience is a minor headache, and sensitivity to light and sound. This may have cost me my trip up the Kwethluk, but at least all it was was a migraine...

Anyway, pictures now.Some of our planes. Except the second one. That belongs to the state troopers.
The Beaver again. I love this plane. I think this shows you how ridiculously long the wings are.
A mama green-winged teal and her ducklings.
The fuel pump and gate at Hangar Lake, where we keep our float planes during the summer.
I hate salmon.
The (crappy) Suburban.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you are feeling a little better. Great shots. The final count down is on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics! Remember, be a duck.

    ReplyDelete