Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Field Journal: Days 11, 12, and 13

Days Remaining: 3 weeks, 3 days
New bird count: 19 (one I forgot to count previously, and one from this weekend.)

Day 11: Sunday June 13th
Day 1 of Worst Storm Ever

Like the above tagline suggests, this is the day a huge storm hit us. It brought plenty of rain and harsh wind, and conditions were such that we couldn't go do a plot, let alone fly. When its stormy, we avoid going out to plots. There's no need to flush birds off nests when the weather is bad, there's already a high chance that birds will abandon nests or lose them to flooding in storms like this.

This day was the start of me consuming books. I finished Neverwhere, which was the last of my personal books, and I started raiding the camp's bookshelves. I read Jurassic Park, and then I'll Go To Bed At Noon. There was one exciting thing today...
We were visited by moose! As George, our pilot, was brushing his teeth, he looked up out the window and saw the pair trot right past the cabin and out towards the dock. They walked on the boardwalk for a moment, and headed towards the landing lake. The three of us left at the cabin tumbled outside, cameras in hand, and started snapping. The moose were cooperative for a moment, but then the wind caught the door, slamming it. The moose spooked and ran off towards the river, along the slough.
It was truly amazing watching them run across the tundra and wetlands. After walking on that stuff, I can't imagine running on it. The fact that moose just bolted across it like I would skate across the rink at home was fascinating.

That picture above has to be one of my favorites. I just means Alaska to me.

Day 12: Monday June 14th
Day 2 of Worst Storm Ever

Trapped still. This day was possibly the worst of the storm. We had wind gusts up to 50 knots, and rain that was practically sideways.

My morning was spent making a package of medicine for Jenn, who was deathly ill out on one of the boat crews, and making brownies, which George then air dropped . I managed to cut my pinkie finger deeply while cutting the brownies. It's not camping if I don't slice my hand open. I also started Lonesome Dove today, which was surprisingly enjoyable and at 900+ pages, it took me plenty of time to get through it.

Day 13: Tuesday June 15th
Day 3 of Worst Storm Ever

Still stuck. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

In other news, there were a lot of Cajun Man jokes today.

Kelly and I got to help with an airdrop to the camp crew that was stuck on the Kashunik River. That was an incredible amount of fun. George would get at least 10 feet over the tents before we dropped the packages, and then he would have to punch it and turn quickly. We were doing this in the little Cessna 185, and it was like being on a rollercoaster. Afterwards, Kelly and I turned to George and said, "Can we do that again?!"

No comments:

Post a Comment